Race times for the first meet of the season at St. Olaf on August 30th will be:
Varsity Girls: 10AM
Varsity Boys: 11AM
There are NO junior high races at this meet. Both races will be 5k. It will be a combined junior varsity/varsity race. If you are in 7th or 8th grade and think that you might want to try a 5k, this would be a great opportunity for you to do so on the course that the state meet is held on.
ZMKW Cross Country 2018
Greetings CC Runners and Parents:
I hope that summer is going well for you. It has been great seeing some of you in the mornings at summer weight training and conditioning.
I strongly encourage you and your parents to attend one of the parent, athlete, and coach meetings held at either ZMHS or KWHS prior to the start of the season. The meeting at Z-M will be at 6PM on Tuesday, August 7st, 2018, at the high school in Room 125. The P.A.C. meeting at K-W will be Monday, August 6th, 2018, at the high school. I will be at both of the meetings to answer any questions that you or your parents might have.
Here are some other important things for you to remember prior to the start of practice:
1) Practice will begin on August 13 @ 8AM at the high school in Zumbrota for all runners in grades 7-12. Runners from Kenyon will be picked up at 7:25 am by a bus/van in front of the high school. Wanamingo runners will be picked up by the KW van or bus in front of the school in Wanamingo around 7:45 am.
2) Remember, you will not be allowed to practice until you have an athletic physical and have filled out the MSHSL Health Questionnaire. These must be on file in the offices in Kenyon and Zumbrota.
3) You can call ahead and schedule an athletic physical at the clinic in Zumbrota. The physicals will be given on Wednesday, July 18, from 4 to 6 PM. Call 507-732-7314 for an appointment.
4) Buy a good pair of running shoes-not cross trainers or basketball shoes. It is important that you do this soon so that you have an opportunity to run in them before practice starts. This helps break in the shoe and prevents blisters. Last season’s track shoes need to be replaced.
5) Adjust your work schedules so that you can be in practice each day! Practice is important and you are expected to be there.
6) The race distances are as follows: Boys-3.25 miles (roughly), girls 3.25 miles (roughly), and junior high b/g (1 mile). Remember, teams are built from August to October-competitive runners are built by putting in miles over the summer.
7) NO PRACTICE ON LABOR DAY (9/3/18)
8) The practice schedule is as follows: (Adjust your work schedules accordingly)
August 13-17 8:00-10:00 AM
August 20-24 8:00-10:00 AM
August 27-30 3:30-5:30 PM
September 3 No Practice (Labor Day)
September 4 Practice After School
*Should the heat be unbearable, we will practice at 6AM in Zumbrota. Bus leave time from Kenyon will be @ 5:25AM and Wanamingo @ 5:45AM. Please check my cross country webpage at zmschools.us as this info will be posted at least 24 hours in advance.
If you have any questions, feel free to call me at 651-565-2463 or send me an e-mail at email@example.com . I look forward to seeing you and your parents at the PAC meetings in Kenyon or Zumbrota. If not, I will see you on the August 13th.
A reminder to all Zumbrota-Mazeppa and Kenyon-Wanamingo runners that Zumbrota-Mazeppa is offering strength, agility, and conditioning workouts on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday mornings throughout the remainder of July. There are two sessions offered each morning, one from 8:00-9:30 AM. Again, runners from Kenyon-Wanamingo that will be running for ZMKW this fall are more than welcome to attend these sessions. I also will be having running/stretching sessions on Tuesday and Thursday mornings at the high school track in Zumbrota from 6:30 AM to 7:30AM to run and stretch starting on July 10. Just a reminder that no one is allowed to participate in either the weight training sessions or summer stretching/running sessions if they do not have a current physical on file at either high school. Also, we will not meet on mornings when it is raining/storming.
**Remember, attendance at these sessions is not mandatory as you can do a great deal of the preparation work prior to the start of the cross country season on your own. I do strongly encourage you to get out and do some brisk walking, running, or biking prior to the start of practice as this is critical in preventing injuries when we approach “crunch time” late in the fall. If you are not quite in running shape yet, hop on your bicycle and try to ride the distances that are listed below. Make sure that you are working hard on the bike-you should be sweating and breathing heavier than you would be if you were out for a leisurely ride. The trails in the Covered Bridge Park and the Pioneer Trail out the back side of the park are very nice areas to run/ride. Also, please wear a helmet if you are riding!
If you are going to be in high school this fall, it would be great if you could start running in early July and get yourself acclimated to running 8-10 miles/week by the start of practice on 8/13/18.
All it would take to achieve this goal is to run 2 miles every other day in early July and try to increase that mileage to 3 miles every other day by August 13th.
If you are going to be in 7th or 8th grade in the fall, you should start training a little as well. Your goal in July should be to start at about 3 miles/week and build yourself up to running about 5.5-7 miles/week by the time practice starts on August 13. This simply amounts to running about 1.25 miles every other day in July and building yourself up to running about 2 miles every other day by the time the season starts in August. Again, we could do some of this in the mornings at the high school track starting on July 10.
Again, it is not mandatory that you do these things, but by getting active now you will lessen your chance of injury later.